On April 1, 1899, several people voted to build a building which became known as the Hudson Baptist Church with the cost estimated at $1,800. The first noted pastor’s wife, Mrs. John Higgins, personally subscribed $500. Rev. John Hamilton Higgins and his wife, Ellen McCully Higgins’ photos are displayed in the foyer of the church.
On November 26, 1899 the first service was held at Hudson Baptist Church with Rev. J. H. Higgins. Attendance was about 30. Sunday School attendance was about 90 at this time. During the depression years the church struggled, but in 1932 a meeting was held to vote to keep the church open with attendance dropping to a low of 14. The stained glass memorial windows in the church bore the names of some of the donors, while the plaques memorialized those who served during the Civil War.
During the 1950’s the church was badly in need of repair, so meetings were held in the grange hall and schoolhouse for a time. Through generous donations from townspeople and members, the building was made acceptable for services again. Rev. Arlington and Priscilla Booker were leading the flock during those years.
From 1961-1964 we were blessed with the ministry of Rev. Richard and Betsey Woehr. There were many improvements made during this time and the church experienced new growth.
In the fall of 2013 the memorial stained glass windows which had been damaged after many decades of use were removed and donated to the town of Hudson to be displayed as historical artifacts. The rest of the foyer as well as both front entryways were totally remodeled for the sole glorification of Christ, and dedicated to His service.
Over the years, Hudson Baptist Church has been blessed with godly men preaching the gospel and filling the pulpit as they also held other jobs. It was in 1978 that HBC had their first full-time pastor. Rev. Garnett Chute served at Hudson until 1995. Subsequently, Rev. James Colley was here until 2005 and Rev. Burleigh Shorey until 2008. Rev. Gregory Jackson and his wife Sharon joined us in 2009 and remained until 2011. Rev. James Davis was with us from 2012 until 2017.